1892 – Edith Frances McIntosh was born on June 4, 1892 in Brooklyn to Alexander and Susan Elizabeth McIntosh.
1902 – Edith graduated from Ocean Side School as valedictory.
1911 – Edith graduated from the Normal Course (Pedagogy) at Oneonta Normal School, now SUNY Oneonta. She was a class officer (musician) and was on the Song Committee.
1919-1920 – Edith became the Musical and Dramatic Editor of the Nassau County Review, and wrote her own column on musical events in the New York City area.
1920 – Edith opened her music studio in the Observer Building in Rockville Centre. The Nassau Daily Review reported that Edith worked in the public schools of Long Island for the previous few years, and that she studied with prominent musicians Frank LaForge and Ernesto Berúmen, who gave their approval of her as a teacher.
1936 – Edith’s new music center opened in a new building at 48 Hillside Avenue, designed for use as a music school. It was reported that nearly 400 people toured the school on its opening day.
1936 – The first recital was held by noted Mexican concert pianist Ernesto Berúmen on January 12. The first of many student recitals was held on February 2. Frank LaForge, famous composer and pianist, presented his first recital in the building on March 15. In addition, The Jeanne Shibley Studio of Dance and drama courses by Lorena Robbins Nutzhorn were established.
1936 – The Central Synagogue of Nassau County began holding religious services on Friday evenings at the studio, the first of many community uses of the building. Other activities held at the school that year include meetings of the Mt. Holyoke Club of Long Island, the Rockville Centre Baptist Church, a fashion show by The Park Shop, and a musical by the South Shore Chapter of Hadassah.
1938 – Edith graduated from New York University with a Master of Arts degree.
1941 – The North Shore Center of the Edith McIntosh School of Music opened in Port Washington, with Miss Irma Harter as the head teacher.
1976 – Edith McIntosh passed away at her home in Oceanside on August 5, 1976.
1978 – The school building at 48 Hillside Avenue was purchased from the estate of Edith McIntosh and became a private residence.